Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Funny Thing Happened After I Turned Off the TV

It's Thursday and I still haven't gotten caught up on my shows from last week. 

Turn Off the TV Week (or Screen-Free Week) was a success for the most part.  Hammer Guy and I cheated a couple of times by watching the news.  Toad rocked it, though!  My mom watched him one afternoon when I had to go back into the office, and because she can't miss the 6 o'clock news, he was exposed to it.  I told him that didn't count, because would he have intentionally watched the news?  No way, he said.

Several of the kids in his class made it Monday through Thursday without any screen time, but once the holiday weekend rolled around (no school on Friday), all bets were off.  My kid, though, stuck to it.  He was the only kid in his classroom to go all seven days without screen time!  He earned free cookie dough and a coupon from Papa Murphy's and a free pizza from Dominos.  Yay for pizza!  This week, though, he's been thrilled with the fact that I've let him watch TV after he's done with his homework in the afternoons.

I was really looking forward to plopping myself down on the couch again - I was even going to cheat on Sunday night and watch Upstairs, Downstairs, but I've been so busy either reading or working for the Day Job or working on my writing that I just haven't watched TV.  And that's weird.

That's all going to change in about two minutes when I go park myself in front of the news.

And, oh yes, there's a Royal Wedding on tomorrow and, true to tradition, I'm going to get up to watch it.  It's only about 45 minutes before I usually get up, so what's the difference?


No comments:

Post a Comment