Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fancy Nancy Birthday Extravaganza!

A couple of weekends ago we hosted a fun and fancy third birthday party for Birdy.  It should be said that I love to entertain.  I love the whole process, from the initial planning of the menu to the whoosh of the dishwasher after the event, when I can finally put my feet up.  It should also be said that I am not much of a baker. I am not a cake decorator.  But sometime between the birth of my son, almost seven years ago, and his first birthday, I got it into my head that I needed to make my children's birthday cakes.  And so I have, with one exception.

So for Birdy's third birthday, I chose a Fancy Nancy theme.  She and I both love the Fancy Nancy books -- the drama and the big words and Nancy's antics.  There's a lot of material to work with -- most of the books feature some sort of fancy food ("Sandwiches do taste better with frilly toothpicks!") and, of course, accessories!

I started planning this event quite some time ago, although it wasn't until that last week leading up to her party that I really kicked it into gear.  I googled "Fancy Nancy Cakes" and while I was initially disappointed, I did eventually find a couple of cakes in which I found inspiration.  After a last-minute trip to Michael's for supplies, and some help with the globes and pillars from my spatially-gifted engineer husband, I decorated the cake in two-and-a-half hours.  I found a lot of my accessories in the birthday party aisle at Target (necklaces, plumed pens, sequined mask, wands, the glittery number 3 candle).  I'd purchased the tiara a year ago in the Target dollar section.  The purse and purple sunglasses are actual Fancy Nancy dress-up products (also from Target).  The butterflies were purchased at Michael's, and the feather boa came from Joann, etc.

 
Tres Fancy!


We served a light luncheon, which included pbjs and cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches, served on bread in the shape of butterflies and flowers (I used the Wilton spring cookie cutter collection); a ham, turkey, and cheese tray with dollar buns; fruit wands (grapes, strawberries, and blueberries on skewers, served in a foil-wrapped grapefruit) with fruit dip (from Tea Parties); cocktail weinies wrapped in croissants (from Bonjour Butterfly); and a veggie tray with dip.  Of course we served parfaits with sprinkles along with the cake.



My sister Julie made Birdy a cute hot pink tutu with a lime green tie, which she wore (with a purple feather boa) for about two minutes.  Most of the party, Birdy wore a grungy white t-shirt and jeans.  She obviously needs a few more lessons in fancy!

Birdy hugs Cinderella while brother Toad looks on.

1 comment: